Saturday, September 15, 2007

Buying attributes, and a small problem

I think I figured out what I want to do about attributes for Chains of Aether, which is good I suppose. There are seven attributes (including Centering), rated from 1 (human perfection) to 6 (unplayably low), with 4 representing human average.

For PCs I'm, considering a point buy for attributes. The hard part is coming up with a good number to use, but for now I'll go with my gut and hope playtesting gives me a result I like. For now I'm starting with 12 points, using the following table:

6: Not available
5: +1 point, no more than one stat this low.
4: 0 points.
3: 1 point.
2: 2 points.
1: 4 points, no more than one stat this high.

So, that done I do have one problem. I have no idea how I want to handle damage. For a penalty I'm thinking of lowering the number of cards available in a character's card pool, but I'm not sure entirely how to implement it.

I think if I can get past this hurdle I'll be ready for a "proof of concept" playtest. It'll be enough to just play through a quick game and see if the system works the way I want it to before pushing on further.

No comments: