Thursday, January 10, 2008

What I've been up to, or Games Galore.

Since I stopped blogging I've done a ton of reading and writing, but I'll touch more on that some other time. Today I just want to talk about games.

I mentioned yesterday that I've been gaming more than ever before since I got back from GenCon, but I thought I'd go into just a touch of detail to show just how much that is true.

Right after GenCon I wrapped up the Shadowrun 4th edition, Scion: Hero, and D&D games I had been running. Not long after I got back I had my car accident and took a bit of time off, but I put that time to good use, writing, planning, and preparing.

When I pulled myself together we jumped right into two biweekly games (alternating Fridays). Part of the group and I started a fantastic Spirit of the Century campaign that's still going on (though, much to our sadness that will be wrapping up next week). It's been the most fun I've had with this group, but it's time to move on for a bit, and given the contents of an email I received tonight I might know exactly what we're moving to. More on that when I find out what I can say.

The other Friday game was a GURPS 4e Traveller game set just after the 3rd Interstellar War. That one's still going as well, but it has the whole group in it, and it's been more than a little rocky. Hopefully however the kinks are starting to work themselves out. We had some player changes, and these things always seem to cause a few grouping pains.

Let's see, what was next. I'm pretty sure the next game we did was a one shot Don't Rest Your Head game for Halloween. I took out a bit of the supernatural and ran it as a zombie survival horror game, which I think the system itself did perfectly. The game itself could have been better, but I think that had more to do with us as players than the game. We simply weren't in the mood, and it's hard to be scary when everyone is laughing and getting to know one another again (as per the "growing pains").

Right after that I started a new GURPS game on Sunday nights that I'll go into a bit more detail on later. It's a bit of a cross between Fireborn In Nomine, and The End. To date it may have been the most powerful time that I've had running a short-term game in the 25 years I've been gaming. Even though... strike that... probably because both characters ended up dying in the final act.... Sacrificing themselves to save the world.

In November I added a Saturday game to my roster as well. This one is a Spycraft 2nd edition game set in a world very much like our own. It's been a lot of fun, but I see it morphing very soon into something much deeper.

Finally, my newest game is a Tuesday night DnD game set in the Five Fingers. If anyone read my review on the other site you know how much I absolutely love that product. It's been a little slow, but we're only three or so games in, and I can feel it picking up steam, which is cool.

So, I guess that's it really. I know it's not a huge number, bt it is 5 games run 4 nights a week. Actually, that's not quite true. I forgot to mention that one of my players is running a short-term Sunday night Spycraft game now, replacing the GURPS game in which I killed his character. If this works out it will mark my first significant time as a player in 15 years.

As for what's next, who knows, but I'm dying to find out, and that's a first for me in a really long time. That's really how I know I've recaptured whatever it is that I had lost. It's not just that I'm gaming more, or even that the games are that much better. It's that I'm liking it more, having more fun, and looking forward to the future.

Hopefully this other thing will work out, but if not, who knows, I'm thinking Pendragon....

3 comments:

Fred said...

Sounds like an awesome time, man. I'm envious of your gaming bandwidth. :)

Unknown said...

It's all about my job really. I run three of five games while I'm on the job, and the rest of my 44 hours or so plotting and planning. That's the nice thing about running a security company. So long as nothing goes wrong you have a whole lot of free time. Heck, even the three hours of commute I have every week goes to good use thinking about things that could inspire me.

I know it's a bit much, and I know it'll wear on me eventually, but in the mean time I intend to ride the wave.

Anonymous said...

Awesome to see you back - this time for real Jeramy! I envy you all that time for gaming! I only run 2 weekly games!

-clash