Wednesday, January 9, 2008

GenCon is a great cure for burn-out.

Yeah, I know GenCon was a long time ago, but I've been meaning to make this post since then.

I went into GenCon with some pretty heavy burnout. Like, thinking about stopping playing type burnout.

At the time I was in denial, calling it anything but burnout, but really, that's what it was. Maybe it had something to do with the ENnies, or maybe it was some difficulties my group was having. Heck, maybe it was just a touch of mid-life crisis, who knows. The fact is, it hit me hard.

And then I went to GenCon.

You know, at the time I was there I wasn't really sure I was having a great time. Nothing really worked out the way I wanted it to, I didn't really game much, I had no plan, and my friends were staying at a hotel so far away it may as well have been on the other side of the city.

And yet... I'm not sure how to describe it, but a week after I was home and rested I wished I could go back. I felt refreshed and revitalized, I found myself thinking about cons and trying to make plans to make sure I could make it back in '08. Basically I just felt like I had recaptured a little bit of that RPG magic that I had let drain away. Maybe it was all the great people I got to meet, or the new books, but I really feel like it was just something in the air. There's something about being surrounded by thousands of people who think just a little like you do.

Anywho, I just had to get that out of my system. I went from being at one of the lowest moments in my gaming career, to playing more than I ever have, and enjoying it like I did in the beginning. To me that's pretty special. Sappy, but special.

Thanks to everyone who was a little part of that.

No comments: