Monday, February 4, 2008

A busy couple of weeks.

Wow, I let two more weeks slip by...

Anywho, I've been keeping busy, which is good I suppose, but I took Saturday night off and vegged out, no games, no work, no planning adventures, and played a couple of mindless Flash games on the internet.

The primary reason I've been so busy was that I finally got around to running a Riddle of Steel one-shot that I've been thinking about for a while now. I called it Cry Havoc, and it was set in Briton in 419 AD. It was a lot of work, but it was a heck of a lot of fun. I spent most of the time boning up on the RoS rules, researching the time period, and writing up histories, descriptions, and character sheets for the pregens. If I get a chance I'll post them here some time, I think they turned out well.

Anywho, the game went great, with nearly everyone playing their characters to the hilt. I did have a couple who just couldn't seem to run their characters as written, but it didn't really matter at all. The roleplay was fantastic, the story was great, and the system held up well. Or, at least I thought so...

Some of my players weren't too happy with Riddle of steel, which is unfortunate, because I really want to use it to run my Pendragon campaign. Sigh. It is pretty darn crunchy, and the one combat we ran did take an hour and a half, but I think a lot of our problems simply came with lack of familiarity.

Ah well, maybe we'll try it again some time.

Other than that I didn't do a huge amount of game-related stuff. I own a small business and the end of January is a tough time, taxes and paperwork eat every free moment.

I did get a whole slew of Dresden stuff, and I'll be running my first playtest Thursday. I finally managed to get NDAs to all of my players Saturday, so thing with that will start rolling fast now.

I can't even begin to describe how impress I am with what I've gotten so far. City creation, which I'll be doing this week, is a neat addition, and the non-supernatural stunts are pretty damn cool. I desperately want to make a martial artist who uses Conviction and Fists to kick supernatural butt. A dedicated Taoist...

Anywho, I'll post more after we finish the first session later this week, but it's pretty darn hot.

Speaking of Dresden.... I've been putting off reading the background stuff we got pretty much first thing because I was afraid of spoilers, but I can't really do that anymore. I just finished book 4, Summer Knight, earlier this morning, and I don't see myself getting to the others any time soon. It's too bad really, they're a heck of a lot of fun.

No comments: